Monday, January 7, 2013

Fire and Exhaustion

Last night the vacant house next to us caught fire. Luckily, my husband, a firefighter, was outside and was able to radio the fire into the station quickly. As a result, the only damage to our house has been some smoke, but that will hopefully dissipate quickly. However, this is making me play the "what if" game. What if my husband was giving our daughter a bath like I had asked him to? What if we had gone to church? What if he wasn't home and I didn't notice the fire? I'm not a very observant person, would the house had burned until it caught my house on fire? What if we had been asleep or playing in the basement? My stomach is literally churning as I type these questions that have been replaying in my mind since last night.

The kids and I had to evacuate and we stayed with my parents. We are safe and that is the most important thing....but now I start to question myself. What if we weren't ok? Have I wasted my children's lives by teaching and going to school? Mainly, is it worth it? I'm sure if I asked different people I would get many different answers...

No comments:

Post a Comment